Tony is a special consultant to the Financial Institutions Practice at the firm and retired after 45 years of practice in representing community financial institutions. His areas of practice focused on securities law, mergers & acquisitions, and corporate law. His practice also included public and private offerings of securities for both financial institutions and business corporations, regulatory matters affecting banks, thrifts and their holding companies, the formation of banks, thrifts and trust companies and their reorganization into the holding company form of organization, mergers & acquisitions of financial institutions and other corporate entities, and counseling boards of directors as to their duties.
Tony received his B.A. from Wesleyan University, where he was a Davenport Scholar. He received his J.D. from the College of William and Mary, where he was Articles Editor for the William and Mary Law Review and a member of Omicron Delta Kappa. Tony taught as an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of North Carolina School of Law, teaching a course in mergers & acquisitions for 11 years. During June 2013, he taught his course in mergers & acquisitions at Augsburg University, Federal Republic of Germany, as a visiting law professor. In 2015 Tony was honored by the UNC School of Law’s Center for Banking and Finance with the Leadership Award for outstanding contributions to banking law and the banking industry.
Prior to joining the firm, Tony was the founder of Gaeta & Eveson, P.A. He also practiced in the New York office of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett, the New Bern and Raleigh offices of Ward & Smith, and the Raleigh office of Moore & Van Allen. Tony also served as Vice President, General Counsel to United Carolina Bancshares Corporation (now BB&T Corporation).
Tony was admitted to practice in Virginia in 1970, New York in 1972 and North Carolina in 1976 and he now enjoys retirement status.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed as “Raleigh Best Lawyers Banking and Finance Law Lawyer of the Year” (2013)
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Banking & Finance Law (since 1995)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Banking (since 2008)
- Anthony Gaeta, Jr. Scholarship at UNC School of Law (endowed by clients and mentored associates)
Professional & Community Activities
- University of North Carolina Banking Institute – Founding Member
- University of North Carolina School of Law – Practitioner in Residence (Banking)
- University of North Carolina School of Law, Center for Banking and Finance – Steering Committee
- Member: Chatham County, NC Planning Board