David focuses his practice on the representation of emerging growth technology companies, as well as the venture capital and private equity firms that fund these companies. He is the leader of the firm’s Private Equity and Clean Tech Industry Teams and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
David has represented technology companies in a variety of transactions, including private and public offerings, technology partnerships and licensing arrangements, and mergers and acquisitions. As counsel to venture capital and private equity funds, he assists with fund formation matters and the full spectrum of these funds' investment transactions, including debt and equity financings, leveraged acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings, and co-investments.
David received his law degree from Stanford Law School and served as an Associate Editor of the Stanford Law Review. He completed his bachelor’s degree at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he graduated with honors and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Prior to joining the firm in 2000, David practiced in the Silicon Valley office of Cooley Godward LLP.
Awards & Recognitions
- Named the Best Lawyers 2018 Venture Capital “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law, Venture Capital Law (2011-2018); Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2016-2018)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Business (2012, 2013), Young Guns (2007)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Business/Corporate (2006, 2014-2017)
Professional & Community Activities
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Council Member (2005-2008), Business Organizations Committee, Technology and Emerging Growth Companies Committee
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- California Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development