Gray's practice focuses on employee benefits and executive and equity compensation (including related tax and fiduciary issues). He has extensive experience with benefit plans of all types, including retirement plans, welfare benefit plans, flexible benefit plans and executive and equity compensation plans.
Significant areas of Gray’s practice include:
- Benefits issues associated with mergers and acquisitions (including golden parachute and severance issues);
- Executive compensation (including application of Code Section 409A to non-qualified deferred compensation plans, employment and severance plans and equity plans);
- Equity compensation (including stock options, restricted stock and restricted stock units);
- 401(k) plans, 403(b) plans, ESOPs and defined benefit plans;
- Non-qualified 457(b) and 457(f) retirement plans for non-profit and governmental entities;
- Welfare benefit plans, including the Affordable Care Act’s employer and insurance mandates, COBRA continuation rights and HIPAA privacy rules;
- ERISA fiduciary standards applicable to plan fiduciaries and investment advisors;
- Government audits and examination of qualified retirement plans and health and welfare plans; and
- Correction of ERISA violations under the Department of Labor's Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program and correction of plan errors under the Internal Revenue Service’s Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System.
Gray received his B.S. in Business Administration and J.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Prior to joining the firm in 2012, Gray served as General Counsel for Hutchison and Associates, an actuarial and employee benefits consulting firm, and later President of that firm. More recently, he was a Senior Vice President and the Triangle Office Leader for Aon Hewitt, a global human resources consulting and outsourcing firm, which acquired Hutchison and Associates in 1995.
Professional & Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Tax Section
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Wake County Bar Association
- Pharmacy Foundation of North Carolina- Board of Directors, Executive Committee member
- 200 Club of Wake County- Board of Directors, Scholarship Committee Chair
- Triangle Benefits Forum-past President
- North Carolina Bar Association- Investment Committee member, Health Insurance Benefit Committee- past Chair, NCBA Health Benefit Trust-past Chair
- Step-Up Ministry- past Chair, Executive Committee
- Greater Raleigh Chamber of Committee - past member of Board of Directors and of the Education Committee
- Wake County School System- past member of Citizens Advisory Audit Committee