Jason's practice focuses on licensing, corporate partnerships and other intellectual property, technology-, and product-related transactions, primarily for clients in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical and medical device industries. He is the leader of the firm's Licensing and Technology Transactions practice group.
Jason received his B.S. in Biology from Duke University and his M.S. in Biology from the University of California, San Diego. He earned his J.D. from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was an editor of the Virginia Law Review and elected member of the Order of the Coif.
Prior to attending law school, Jason worked in the Office of Technology Development at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, where he managed the Institute’s relationships with major pharmaceutical companies and negotiated licenses and other agreements with emerging ventures.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Biotechnology Law (2009-2018)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Intellectual Property (2016)
- Listed among “IAM Patent 1000–The World’s Leading Patent Practitioners” as “Recommended” for Licensing (2012, 2013) and for Transactions (2014) by Intellectual Asset Management
- Listed among “The World’s Leading Patent & Technology Licensing Lawyers” by IAM Licensing 250 (2011)
- Listed among LMG Life Sciences: “Life Sciences Stars” (2012, 2013)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” Business/Corporate (2010, 2011)
Professional & Community Activities
- Licensing Executives Society (Co-Chair of RTP Chapter 2010-2013)
- Association of University Technology Managers
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development