Diane's practice focuses on labor and employment law. She provides clients with representation, counseling and training on all state and federal employment laws, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, and state wage and hour laws, as well as covenants not to compete, trade secrets, wage payment and collection, employment terminations and severance, policies and handbooks and other issues related to employment.
Diane is admitted to practice before all federal and state courts in North Carolina, the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Supreme Court, and regularly defends management clients in proceedings before the state and federal Departments of Labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Before her law career, Diane was an English professor at North Carolina State University. After law school, she clerked for former Justice Francis I. Parker on the Supreme Court of N.C. and with Justice, now retired, Sarah Parker on the N.C. Court of Appeals.
Diane received her B.A. from the College of William and Mary, her M.A. from West Virginia University, and her J.D., cum laude, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
Awards & Recognitions
- Named one of Top 50 Women Super Lawyers in North Carolina (2007, 2014-2016)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Labor & Employment (2006-2017)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Employment Law (2005, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2013-2017)
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Employment Law–Management, Litigation–Labor & Employment (2013-2018)
Professional & Community Activities
- North Carolina Bar Association, Women in the Profession Committee (Chair, 2009-2011); Joint Task Force on Diversity (2009-2010)
- American Bar Association, Labor & Employment Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- North Carolina State Bar
- Certified Mediator, North Carolina Civil Superior Court
- Society for Human Resource Management (“SHRM”)
- Triangle Society for Human Resource Management ("TSHRM")