HR Generalist – Benefits & Payroll Administrator
This role is responsible for administration of non-partner payroll, all eligible employee benefits, wellness program for the firm and HR information administration/recordkeeping. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
Benefits Duties and Responsibilities
- Administers employee benefits programs including: medical, dental, vision, group life, LTD, STD, supplemental life, FSA, HRA, HSA, ID theft protection and healthy lifestyle reimbursement.
- Develops census data and works closely with benefit consultants to develop requests for proposals, evaluate the responses, recommend to Firm management viable alternatives and develop pricing for benefit plan selections.
- Evaluates and compares existing company benefits with those of other employers by analyzing other plans, surveys, and other sources of information. Participates in area and industry surveys.
- Reviews open enrollment presentation by consultants and participates in all open enrollment meetings. Reviews open enrollment reports in Employee Navigator for accuracy and provides census data for Lawyers Insurance and Flores. Revises and reissues all communications material on benefits when needed. Advises and counsels management and employees on existing benefits. Installs approved new plans and changes by preparing announcement material, booklets, and other media for communicating new plans to employees. Conducts individual new employee benefits orientation meetings and arranges for enrollment of employees in optional plans.
- Works with benefits consultants to customize Benefits Digest.
- Oversees the termination of benefits and COBRA administration for employees leaving the firm.
- Reviews monthly enrollment reports and benefit invoices for accuracy.
- Assures firm compliance with provisions of Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and that appropriate reports (forms 5500) are filed timely with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Responsible for the firm’s compliance with the privacy regulations of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.
- Works closely with benefit consultants, and Employee Navigator to ensure firm’s compliance with the Affordable Care Act, including 1095s.
- Prepares and executes, with legal consultation, benefit documentation such as original and amended plan texts, benefit agreements and insurance policies. Instructs insurance carriers, trustees, and other administrative agencies outside the company to effect changes in benefit program. Ensures prompt and accurate compliance.
- Handles benefit inquiries and complaints to ensure quick, equitable, courteous resolution. Maintains contact in person, and by phone or mail, with hospitals, physicians, insurance companies, employees, and beneficiaries to facilitate proper and complete utilization of benefits for all employees.
- Prepares census data and work with benefits consultants to customize hidden paychecks for all staff and associates.
- Supervises maintenance of benefit records in Employee Navigator.
- Audit of life insurance beneficiaries as needed.
- Facilitates disability claims with UNUM.
- Assist employees with Qualifying Event processing.
Wellness Duties and Responsibilities
- Co-Chair the Firm’s Wellness Committee. Conduct quarterly meetings.
- Develop relationships with medical insurer and outside vendors to identify available wellness resources and programs for firm employees.
- Create annual wellness program guidelines for circulation at open enrollment. Work with Health Management Advisor to strategically plan wellness program and biometric screening criteria.
- Communicate with employees regarding wellness resources available and guidelines of wellness program.
- Respond to employees’ wellness questions.
- Send out communications to employees related to medical conditions and wellness topics.
- Circulate monthly newsletter and associated activity, track completion of activities.
- Schedule health and wellness events throughout the year, e.g., flu shots, biometric screenings, CPR training, etc.
- Maintains firm’s wellness site including calendaring events, tracking registration, coordinating with Office Services regarding lunches, recording of events, necessary equipment, etc.
- Research, develop, implement and administer wellness challenge ideas and corresponding incentives.
- Work with Health Management Advisor to develop wellbeing interest survey.
- Track healthy lifestyle reimbursement.
Payroll Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for day-to-day employee data entry in Time and Attendance.
- Review Time and Attendance reports to ensure employees have correctly accounted for their worked hours, make adjustments for PTO, holidays, overtime, etc.
- Track additional hours worked for overtime calculation for transmittal in payroll and submit overtime report to Billing.
- Track FMLA.
- Calculate any unpaid time to be deducted regarding unpaid FMLA, shortage of PTO, etc.
- Export Time and Attendance data to Payroll.
- Access weekly 401(k) report from Schwab regarding contribution changes.
- Add/terminate employees in ADP Workforce Now.
- Update payroll records, e.g., changes in salary, tax withholding, deductions, direct deposit information, pto accrual rate, etc.
- Calculate retroactive pay for transmittal in payroll.
- Coordinate with employees regarding QuickCalc for determination of changes in withholdings, 401(k), etc.
- Responsible for payroll for staff/associates/of counsel, ensure varying data is correct, e.g., PTO, bonuses, gym reimbursement, eligibility for 401(k), T&E reimbursements, etc.
- Annual entry of PTO balances and benefit deductions.
- Annual update of Holiday Program Profile in Time and Attendance.
- Annual calculation of unpaid PTO to be paid out to non-attorneys.
- Assist ADP users with account registration issues or Time & Attendance application questions.
HR Information Administration/Recordkeeping Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain and update employee information, e.g., various census data, emergency contacts, staff schedules, staff coverage, certified paralegal list, employee management system data, etc.
- Take the lead on Verification of Employment responses for professional staff.
- Take the lead on maintaining the Staff out Calendar for professional staff.
- Provide backup of select duties for the HR Manager, e.g., assist with: eVerify submission, pre-employment background screening, Everbridge emergency notification system registration, maintaining personnel records; serve as a backup delegate in DocuSign for new hire forms, etc.
Requirements and Expectations
- 3-5 years of experience managing payroll and benefits
- Working knowledge of various benefit plan structures, rules and regulations (e.g., Traditional and High Deductible health plans, FSA, HSA, HRA, disability, life and voluntary benefits)
- Experience in management of wellness programs helpful
- Strong attention to detail, communication and organizational skills
- Experience with ADP (Workforce Now) a plus
- Auditing deductions monthly against carrier invoices to ensure accuracy and compliance with Section 125 and ACA reporting
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion
- Partner with Chief Operating Officer in the renewal and selection of benefits and wellness programs
- Moderate motor coordination to function effectively in an indoor professional office work environment requiring frequent and prolonged sitting, standing, repetitive finger motion, computer and phone usage and routine walking, bending, reaching and lifting up to 20 pounds.
About Wyrick Robbins
Wyrick Robbins is a commercial law firm with a focus on growth-oriented businesses and various financial organizations that provide capital to such businesses. Its clients are local, regional, national and global, and range from start-up and early-stage technology companies to established growth companies, both privately-owned and publicly-held. The firm handles financial and corporate transactions, commercial litigation and other legal needs of these businesses.
- Cover letter
We encourage you to learn more about the people, practice areas, and commitments that make us unique.