Paralegal – Litigation
Reporting directly to assigned Partners and Associates, the Litigation Paralegal will assist in all phases of the litigation process, from the discovery period through the trial and onto post-trial findings and appeals. Fast-paced, team environment. This role is the lead litigation support paralegal and supports multiple attorneys. This role is primarily performed onsite.
- Draft routine legal documents for review and use by attorneys.
- Responsible for high volume medium to large case document collection, organization and production, including number-stamping, redacting, indexing of documents and checking copies.
- Review and analyze documents for production, under the direct guidance of an attorney; categorize documents by subject; prepare a chronology of facts.
- Assist with preparation for trial: assist with pre-trial documents, including deposition designations, trial exhibit list and witness list; organize exhibits, files and all other supporting documents; if at the trial, take notes, handle exhibits, gather any documents referred by either counsel, denote which exhibits are marked and offered or just identified.
- Conduct various document searches and factual research.
- Recording and tracking deadlines through docketing and calendaring processes.
- Act as liaison with various internal departments as well as with outside agencies (e.g., oversee the progress of documents through secretarial and Office Services, order transcripts from reporting services, and fulfill requests from outside counsel and others).
- Strong knowledge of Federal and North Carolina Rules of Court is a must.
- Capture all time entries in the Firm’s time-keeping application on a daily basis.
- Flexibility for overtime and weekend work on occasion as well as flexibility for occasional travel to trial locations is required.
- Ideal candidate will be an exceptionally bright, enthusiastic, and highly motivated individual.
- Three or more years of prior work experience as a Litigation Paralegal or similar relevant role in a law firm or professional services setting.
- Bachelor’s Degree. ABA approved Paralegal Certificate strongly preferred.
- Experience in all phases of the litigation process.
- Experience preparing for trials and arbitrations. Actual trial experience is a plus.
- Experience with Relativity (eDiscovery software) is a must. Understanding native and load formats is a plus.
- Ability to search database programs and assist attorneys in organizing/categorizing documents and preparing trial and witness binders.
- Advanced working knowledge of Microsoft Office (i.e., Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.) PDF Docs, Elite/3E, iManage, and ability to quickly learn any additional applications relevant to the role.
- Ability to utilize litigation specific applications to effectively support and maintain the Firm’s litigation practice.
- Experience with e-discovery databases and review tools, PDF manipulation software, case management applications, a working knowledge of networks as well as the ability to provide end users with basic usage instruction and one-on-one training preferred.
- Experience in the use of technology to support litigation efforts, with an emphasis on trial procedures, discovery, document production (including electronic data), document management, and coding and scanning procedures and use.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including solid grammar skills; strong attention to detail; exceptional proofreading skills.
- Exceptionally well organized and detail oriented, self-motivated and able to work independently.
- Ability to track and meet deadlines and manage multiple projects simultaneously. Adaptable to ever changing priorities in a dynamic work setting. Able to troubleshoot issues and develop creative solutions.
- Proactive, positive, energetic and hardworking team player. Strong client service mentality.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to professionally interact with attorneys, staff, and clients.
- Maintain composure. Be able to professionally and constructively handle challenges that may arise from time to time with the work, work processes, dealings with other personnel, and supervision provided.
- Availability to work weekdays between 8:00am – 6:00pm, with overtime as needed.
An 8:30am- 5:00pm regular work schedule preferred.
- Moderate motor coordination to function effectively in an indoor professional office work environment requiring frequent and prolonged sitting, standing, repetitive finger motion, computer and phone usage and routine walking, bending, reaching and lifting up to 20 pounds.
About Wyrick Robbins
Wyrick Robbins is a commercial law firm with a focus on growth-oriented businesses and various financial organizations that provide capital to such businesses. Its clients are local, regional, national and global, and range from start-up and early-stage technology companies to established growth companies, both privately-owned and publicly-held. The firm handles financial and corporate transactions, commercial litigation and other legal needs of these businesses.
- Cover letter
We encourage you to learn more about the people, practice areas, and commitments that make us unique.