Wyrick Robbins is seeking an associate with 2-4 years of law firm experience to join its market-leading Privacy and Data Security practice. Experience in privacy or data security law is preferred but not required. The group’s clients include organizations in a variety of industries, including retail, health care, technology, financial services, media, and life sciences. The group supports clients with breach response, building compliance programs, contract negotiation, deal and vendor diligence, and technology implementation. The firm has a collegial and entrepreneurial environment and is home to leading practitioners handling sophisticated matters in a variety of practice areas.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong communication skills, excellent analytical capabilities, and solid work ethic. Although prior experience in privacy and data security law is not required, candidates should be literate in related concepts such as technology. Candidates should be prepared to describe, in general terms, their prior experience engaging in research, analysis, drafting, and communicating with clients. Candidates will be expected to:
- Advise clients on compliance with privacy and data security law, including CCPA/CPRA, GDPR, data breach requirements, GLBA, HIPAA, and all other major U.S. federal and state privacy laws;
- Participate in legal work including data breach response, drafting policies and procedures, drafting memoranda, M&A diligence, and negotiating contracts;
- Identify and evaluate risk to personal data or client compliance postures, including through participation in privacy compliance, data security, and vulnerability assessments;
- Conduct legal analysis and research in areas such as emerging privacy law;
- Engage in reading and study due to the fast pace of change in the area;
- Actively participate in speaking and writing opportunities, including by contributing to the practice group’s blog; and
- Interact directly with law firm partners and client representatives.
- Practice expertise: We actively train and support our associates toward becoming full-time, credentialed privacy law practitioners with the ability to attract their own clients. The firm will support candidate development in privacy and data security, including IAPP membership, CIPP certification, and specialization within the North Carolina Bar. Our goal is to prepare our associates for election to partnership at Wyrick Robbins.
- Teamwork: Our practice group works as a team, coordinating projects and client relationships to ensure a variety of experiences, accommodating life events, and supporting each other’s careers.
- Leadership opportunities: Successful associates at Wyrick Robbins enjoy a variety of leadership opportunities, including firm committee leadership, participation in community programs like Leadership Raleigh, and opportunities through the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity.
- Mentorship: You will have a formal mentor assignment, as well as informal opportunities with attorneys in a variety of practices and experience levels due to Wyrick Robbins’ inclusive and collegial culture.
- Inclusion: Our culture fosters inclusivity and opportunity with a focus on diversity. We value our people, providing growth and wellness opportunities so they are supported. We encourage you to read about our Best Places to Work award or our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion pages for more information.
- Prior experience working in a law firm.
- A North Carolina Bar admission, or ability and willingness to obtain admission within 12 months.
- Outstanding undergraduate and law school academics.
- Excellent written, analytical, and verbal skills.
The position will be located in Raleigh, North Carolina. While some remote work will be permitted, candidates should be willing to spend most of their time working in the firm’s office in Raleigh, North Carolina, subject to the firm’s COVID policies and protocols.
About Wyrick Robbins
Wyrick Robbins is a commercial law firm with a focus on growth-oriented businesses, regardless of their size. Its clients are local, regional, national, and global, and range from start-up and early-stage technology companies to Fortune 500 companies, both privately-owned and publicly-held. The firm handles financial and corporate transactions, commercial litigation, employment, health care, privacy, and other legal needs of these businesses. More than half of the attorneys at the firm are laterals from national and regional law firms.
- Cover letter
- Law school transcript