Privacy and Data Security Attorney
Wyrick Robbins is seeking an attorney with five or more years of privacy law experience to join its market-leading Privacy and Data Security practice. Prior experience in a law firm setting is required. The group’s clients include organizations in a variety of industries, including retail, health care, technology, financial services, media, and life sciences. The group supports clients with breach response, building compliance programs, contract negotiation, deal and vendor diligence, and technology implementation. The firm has a collegial and entrepreneurial environment and is home to leading practitioners handling sophisticated matters at a regional and national level.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong communication skills, excellent analytical capabilities, and solid work ethic. Candidates should be prepared to describe their experience working on privacy and data security matters, including direct experience advising clients on related laws. Candidates will be expected to:
- Advise clients on compliance with privacy and data security law, including CCPA/CPRA, GDPR, data breach requirements, GLBA, HIPAA, and all other major U.S. federal and state privacy laws;
- Independently identify and evaluate risk to personal data or compliance postures;
- Supervise junior associates by directing and sharing feedback regarding legal analysis and research in areas such as emerging privacy law and data breach;
- Negotiate provisions of data protection addenda, information security exhibits, and business associate agreements;
- Engage directly with opposing counsel in data breach matters;
- Draft responses to regulatory inquiries and contributing to identification of relevant evidence in support of the same;
- Participate in incident response and other investigatory matters, adopting a significant role in overseeing drafting of notification letters and regulatory filings;
- Participate in development of compliance programs to address major privacy laws such as HIPAA, GDPR, CPRA, and emerging state laws;
- Actively participate in speaking and writing opportunities, including by contributing to the practice group’s blog;
- Supervise and mentor junior associates; and
- Interact directly with law firm partners and client representatives.
- Practice expertise: The firm will support continued professional development in privacy and data security, including IAPP membership, CIPP certification, and specialization within the North Carolina Bar. Our goal is to prepare our associates and counsel for election to partnership at Wyrick Robbins.
- Teamwork: Our practice group works as a team, coordinating projects and client relationships to ensure a variety of experiences, accommodating life events, and supporting each other’s careers.
- Leadership opportunities: Successful attorneys at Wyrick Robbins enjoy a variety of leadership opportunities (examples include firm committee leadership, participation in community programs like Leadership Raleigh, and opportunities through the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity).
- Mentorship: You will have a formal mentor assignment, as well as informal opportunities to receive mentorship from attorneys in a variety of practices and experience levels due to Wyrick Robbins’ inclusive and collegial culture.
- Inclusion: Our culture fosters inclusivity and opportunity with a focus on diversity. We value our people, providing growth and wellness opportunities so they are supported. We encourage you to read about our Best Places to Work award or our Diversity, Equity & Inclusion pages for more information.
- Minimum five years of experience practicing privacy law.
- Prior experience working in a law firm.
- A North Carolina Bar admission, or ability and willingness to obtain admission within 12 months.
- Excellent written, analytical, and verbal skills.
- Two favorable references, preferably from clients or co-workers.
- Portable business is welcomed but not required.
The position will be located in Raleigh, North Carolina. While some remote work will be permitted, candidates should be willing to spend most of their time working in the firm’s office in Raleigh, North Carolina.
About Wyrick Robbins
Wyrick Robbins is a commercial law firm with a focus on growth-oriented businesses, regardless of their size. Its clients are local, regional, national, and global, and range from start-up and early-stage technology companies to Fortune 500 companies, both privately-owned and publicly-held. The firm handles financial and corporate transactions, commercial litigation, employment, health care, privacy, and other legal needs of these businesses. More than half of the attorneys at the firm are laterals from national and regional law firms.
- Cover letter
We encourage you to learn more about the people, practice areas, and commitments that make us unique.