Grady has been practicing environmental and administrative law for over 30 years, and routinely represents clients on environmental and administrative litigation, transactional and regulatory matters. He has tried numerous matters before the various federal and state courts, as well as North Carolina’s Office of Administrative Hearings, and has briefed and argued cases before nearly every level of appellate court. Grady argued Wilson v. McLeod Oil Company, Inc., one of the main cases under North Carolina’s Oil Pollution and Hazardous Substances Control Act, to the North Carolina Supreme Court. He also assists clients with environmental due diligence and transactions, counsels lenders on environmental issues, and handles federal and state environmental regulatory and permitting matters.
Grady is the leader of the firm’s Environmental, Regulatory & Administrative Law practice area. He is a past Chair of the Environment, Energy & Natural Resources Section of the North Carolina Bar Association, and served as Co-Chair of the Section’s CLE Committee for several years. Grady is Managing Editor of the Section’s new North Carolina Environmental Law Desk Manual.
Grady received his B.A., with honors, from Duke University. He received his J.D., with honors, from the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, where he was an editor of the North Carolina Law Review.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Environmental (2005-2010, 2012, 2013–Category Winner)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Environmental (2012-2019)
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation, Environmental Law (2013-2020)
- Listed as "Raleigh Best Lawyers Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year" (2014)
Professional & Community Activities
- American Bar Association, Section of Administrative Law and Regulatory Practice; Section of Litigation; Section of Environment, Energy and Resources
- North Carolina Bar Association, Administrative Law Section (Council, 2019-present); Litigation Section; Environment, Energy & Natural Resources Law Section, CLE Committee (2011), CLE Committee Co-Chair (2005-2011), Section Council Member (2008-2011), Council Treasurer (2009-2010), Council Secretary (2010-2011), Council Vice-Chair (2011-2012), Chair (2012-2013), Desk Manual Committee Chair (2015-present)
- Executive Editor, N.C. Bar Association Foundation Environmental Desk Manual
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- NC Association of Environmental Professionals
- Triangle Greenways Council Board of Directors (2009-2010), Fundraising Chair (2009-2014)