Toby leads our Appellate Litigation Practice Group. He is a North Carolina State Bar Certified Legal Specialist in Appellate Practice with extensive experience in appellate litigation particularly in the North Carolina Court of Appeals and North Carolina Supreme Court in all areas of the law. He also assists municipal clients with land use and zoning issues, including appeals from quasi-judicial and legislative zoning decisions.
Toby served as a law clerk to Judge K. Edward Greene, Judge Wanda Bryant, and Judge Robert C. (Bob) Hunter on the North Carolina Court of Appeals from 2002 to 2004. Prior to joining Wyrick Robbins in 2007, he practiced with Patterson Dilthey in Raleigh with an emphasis on trial and appellate litigation.
Toby received his B.A. in International Studies and History with university honors from American University and his J.D. with honors from Campbell University’s Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law where he served as the Notes and Comments editor of the Campbell Law Review and was inducted into the Order of Barristers.
He serves on the North Carolina Bar Association’s Appellate Rules Committee and is active in the association’s Appellate Practice Section and Delivery of Legal Services Committee. Toby also assists the State Bar’s Appellate Practice Specialization Committee. Toby is a member of Windborne United Methodist Church where he currently chairs the Trustees and sits on the church Council.
Awards & Recognitions
- Certified by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization as a Specialist in Appellate Practice
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" Appellate (2010-2013); Appellate (2014-2018)
- Named one of Top 100 Super Lawyers in North Carolina (2015)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Young Guns (2010, 2012), Appellate Law (2018)
- Named an “Emerging Legal Leader” by North Carolina Lawyers Weekly (2010)
Professional & Community Activities
- Windborne United Methodist Church: Chair of Trustees, Church Council, Service Team, Kemp Edwards Memorial Scholarship Committee
- North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization Appellate Specialization Committee
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Appellate Rules Committee; Delivery of Legal Services Committee; Litigation Section; Appellate Practice Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- Past-President, North Carolina Voters for Clean Elections