Jim is the leader of the firm’s Investment Funds practice group. His practice covers various aspects of business law for start-ups and seasoned companies, including private securities offerings, mergers and acquisitions, financings, and antitrust and foreign investment issues (e.g., CFIUS, FCPA, BEA, CTA).
Jim began his legal practice in 1989 in Silicon Valley where he worked with technology-based companies, venture capital groups, and foreign investors. He returned to North Carolina in 1992 and worked with Hunton Andrews & Kurth corporate law group before joining the firm in 1996.
Jim graduated cum laude from Duke University, and received his J.D. from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law.
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Antitrust Law (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2020)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Business/Corporate (2016-2021)
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section; Business Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Antitrust Law Section; Business Law Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- State Bar of California
- Regulation of Foreign Investment and Acquisitions in the United States – Presentation to Powerchina Huadong Engineering Corporation Limited (2020)
- "Foreign Investment Can Trigger Reviews," Business North Carolina
- CFA Society North Carolina: "Other People’s Money – A Look at Private Investment Funds" (2016)