John concentrates his practice in intellectual property, strategic partnerships, venture capital financings, and the representation of technology-based and early-stage businesses, and his primary clients are software and Internet-related companies and consumer products skincare companies. He counsels clients in all aspects of creating, protecting, maintaining, licensing, and monetizing intellectual property. John is a Senior Lecture Fellow at Duke University School of Law where he teaches a course on intellectual property transactions. John has also been a guest lecturer at the Duke University Nicholas School of the Environment for the Entrepreneurial Experience and Entrepreneurial Execution classes. After working for two years as a management consultant, John was employed by IBM for ten years in marketing and management positions.
John received a B.S. in Nuclear Engineering, with distinction, from the University of Virginia, and an M.B.A. (with concentration in finance) from the Carnegie Mellon Tepper School of Business. He received a J.D. from Duke University School of Law.
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Intellectual Property Law (2005, 2006, 2009, 2010, 2012, 2014-2016, 2018-2020)
- American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- "Directors, Email and the Internet,” National Association of Corporate Directors, October 2001
- "Technology Agreements for Early Stage Companies: Top Ten Mistakes," The Laws of Science, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, March 2003
- "Basics of Intellectual Property" Capital Associated Industries Seminar, Raleigh, North Carolina, March 2004 and March 2003
- “Joint Product Development – Who Owns What?” Kauffman eVenturing, The Foundation of Entrepreneurship, December 1, 2006
- “Intellectual Property,” Duke University Start-Up Challenge, Durham, North Carolina, January 2007 and January 2006
- “Intellectual Property Basics for Start-Ups,” Council for Entrepreneurial Development Entrepreneur's Workshop, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina, March 2007
- Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Address Strategic Partnership Agreements on eVenturing.org
- Wyrick Robbins Intellectual Property Attorneys Featured on eVenturing.org