Matt is the head of our Trusts & Estates practice group, and his practice consists primarily of wealth transfer planning, tax planning, and trust and estate administration. He is regularly involved in structuring trusts and business transactions that are motivated by concerns for control and eventual distribution of wealth and by long-range tax planning. He is frequently involved in charitable gift planning, including the creation of charitable foundations and trusts.
Matt is certified as a Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization.
Matt received his B.A., with honors, from Wake Forest University. He received his J.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Trusts and Estates (2009-2021)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Estate Planning/Probate (2006-2020)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Tax/Estate Planning (2005, 2007-2020)
- American Bar Association, Real Property, Probate & Trust Section, Taxation Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Estate Planning & Fiduciary Law Section, Tax Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Wake County Estate Planning Council
- "Estate Planning While Transfer Tax Laws Are in Flux," Edward Jones 24th Annual Tax Professional Economic & Investment Update, Cary, NC, August 2010
- "Succession Planning for the Owner of a Closely Held Business," North Carolina Bar Association, Asheville, NC, July 2008
- "Gifting Your IRA," North Carolina Bar Association, Cary, NC, November 2006
- "Death During Divorce – Family Law Concerns in the Midst of an Estate Administration," North Carolina Bar Association, Cary, NC, September 2006