Alex dedicates his practice to privacy and data security law. He assists clients in a wide variety of industries with compliance strategies, policy development and implementation, data monetization and data use analyses, privacy and security issues in transactions, privacy and security incident response, and regulatory and litigation matters that involve privacy and data security issues.
Alex understands firsthand the challenges that confront organizations seeking to understand and manage the risks posed by this dynamic field. Before returning to private practice in 2017, he served for six years as in-house counsel for SAS, a global provider of analytics, business intelligence and data management software and services. As the company’s lead Privacy Counsel, Alex managed the company’s global privacy program and advised on domestic and international privacy and data security issues arising throughout the company’s operations.
In 2018 Alex was certified as a Specialist in Privacy and Information Security Law by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization as part of its inaugural class of board-certified Specialists in the field.
Alex received his B.A., summa cum laude, from Wake Forest University as a Phi Beta Kappa graduate. He received his J.D., with distinction, from Stanford Law School. Following law school he served as a law clerk for the Honorable Milton I. Shadur in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
- Privacy and Information Security Law Specialist, North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization
- Privacy Law Specialist, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Fellow of Information Privacy, International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Professional/United States (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Certified Information Privacy Technologist (CIPT), International Association of Privacy Professionals
Professional & Community Activities
- North Carolina Bar Association, Chair, Privacy and Data Security Committee
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Carolina Privacy Officials Network
- Sedona Conference Working Group 11, Data Security and Privacy Liability
- Sedona Conference Working Group 6, International Electronic Information Management, Discovery and Disclosure