Our Tax practice group provides a full range of services related to federal, state, and local taxation. We have the expertise and experience to provide the practical legal advice and specific service to meet the needs of our clients, including:
- planning and structuring taxable and tax-free acquisitions, reorganizations, dispositions, buy-outs, spin-offs, investments, and joint venture arrangements;
- developing practical tax strategies for maximizing tax savings opportunities, including applicable tax credits, nontaxable proceeds in mergers and acquisitions, and business structuring to minimize total taxes in ongoing operations;
- structuring tax-efficient ownership and drafting operating or partnership agreements for limited liability companies and partnerships for operating businesses, real estate investment ventures, hedge funds, and private equity or venture capital funds;
- advising on all aspects of federal, state, and local tax laws for business executives and investors, for-profit businesses, and nonprofit organizations;
- advising parties in connection with low-income housing or rehabilitation of historic buildings in order to maximize the federal and state income tax credits (and any local property tax abatements) available to owners and investors; and
- representing businesses and individuals in negotiating and resolving tax uncertainties and controversies with federal and state tax authorities as favorably as possible. This work includes obtaining pre-transaction rulings from tax authorities, as well as representation in all stages of the controversy process, whether in examinations, collections, administrative appeals, trials, courtroom appeals, or any other stage.
To discuss our Tax expertise and services, please contact Tom Cook at 919.865.2819 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Related Practice Areas
The Investment Funds practice group is an interdisciplinary team of attorneys who focus on formation and management of private investment funds, and representation of fund sponsors, managers, advisers, and investors. We provide legal counsel in all relevant areas, including fund structure, tax planning, securities laws, internal ownership and control, regulatory, and other legal matters.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Our M&A practice group is composed of experienced transactional attorneys focused on handling the complexities of M&A transactions. We take pride in working closely with our clients at every stage of the process, from pre-transaction preparation and deal structuring in order to maximize value and minimize risk, through due diligence, to drafting and negotiating definitive agreements, and ultimately to closing and post-closing advice.
Trusts & Estates
Our Trusts & Estates practice group provides a full range of estate, wealth planning, and probate services. Our team has particular expertise in situations involving complex assets, transactions, and family relationships. The North Carolina State Bar has certified all the attorneys in our group as specialists in Estate Planning and Probate Law.