Charles is a trial attorney whose practice focuses on prosecuting and defending complex commercial litigation and the defense of professionals in malpractice actions. His experience includes representing clients in intra-company disputes, commercial contract breaches, employment disputes, trade secrets and intellectual property disputes, product liability and construction cases, as well as other litigation matters. He has represented clients as lead counsel through all stages of litigation, including jury and non-jury trials, and in appeals. He has litigated matters in the North Carolina Business Court, all of North Carolina’s Federal District Courts, the North Carolina Court of Appeals, the North Carolina Supreme Court and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals. He has also been lead counsel in numerous arbitrations through the American Arbitration Association. He also has significant experience representing medical professionals before state licensing boards, and represents individuals and corporations in the Office of Administrative Hearings. Prior to joining the firm in 2007, Charles was a partner at a Raleigh law firm where he practiced for 13 years.
Charles is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee and handles General Counsel responsibilities at the firm. He is a member of the Board of Family Promise of Wake County, a local non-profit assisting families experiencing temporary homelessness. Charles received his B.A. in Economics from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor. He received his M.B.A. from Penn State University-University Park and his J.D., cum laude, from the University of Miami School of Law.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation (2016-2019)
- Listed among Benchmark Litigation “Future Stars” (2014-2018)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2015-2019)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Litigation (2014, 2019)
Professional & Community Activities
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- North Carolina State Bar
- Family Promise of Wake County, Board Member