Elizabeth leads the firm’s Privacy & Data Security Practice Group, which has more than 25 years combined experience in the practice area. Her practice addresses all aspects of privacy and data security law, including compliance initiatives to address major legal requirements such as HIPAA, Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act, the FCRA, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, CAN-SPAM, data security breach notification, GDPR, Privacy Shield and other international data transfer mechanisms, COPPA, VPPA, and others. Elizabeth has assisted clients with a wide variety of implementation projects including cloud computing, health information exchanges, patient portals, bring-your-own-device, mobile applications, location tracking, online behavioral advertising, direct marketing, and complex customer insights initiatives. She also helps clients with government agency inquiries pertaining to privacy and data security, such as HIPAA compliance reviews conducted by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Elizabeth regularly leads privileged assessments and investigations, such as forensic examinations, vulnerability and compromise assessments, and data security evaluations. Her team has addressed more than 400 data security breaches.
Elizabeth received her BA, magna cum laude, from Coe College as a Phi Beta Kappa graduate and her JD, cum laude, from Duke University. She also received her MEM from Duke University Nicholas School of Earth and Environmental Sciences.
Prior to entering private practice, Elizabeth was a law clerk for The Honorable William L. Osteen, U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina.
Awards & Recognitions
- Triangle Business Journal, "50 To Watch in Business," 2013
- Business North Carolina, "Legal Elite - Under 40 Young Guns," 2009, 2011
- Super Lawyers Magazine, "North Carolina Super Lawyers - Rising Star," 2009-2017
- Computerworld, "Best Privacy Advisers" report, 2008
- Triangle Business Journal, "40 Under 40," 2007
- Triangle Catalyst, "Top 10 Under 35," 2007
Professional & Community Activities
- Triangle Privacy Research Hub: Director
- North Carolina State Bar Privacy & Information Security Specialization Committee, Vice Chair
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Carolina Privacy Officials' Network
- American Red Cross-Triangle Area Chapter: Past Chairman of the Board of Directors
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association