Lee is a trial attorney whose practice focuses on complex litigation, including healthcare and shareholder derivative actions. Lee has tried jury and bench trials in state and federal courts and before the American Arbitration Association, has obtained multiple verdicts in excess of a million dollars, and has successfully defended public companies in multi-million dollar class-action shareholder derivative lawsuits. Lee also litigates health care Certificate of Need (“CON”) cases at the Office of Administrative Hearings and has appeared many times in the North Carolina Business Court, North Carolina Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court.
In 2013, Lee was the top vote getter in Litigation by Business North Carolina Magazine based upon a vote of other lawyers across the state of North Carolina – see full article here.
Lee received his B.A., with honors, from the University of Notre Dame. He received his J.D., with honors, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he won the Judge Herriot Clarkson Award for Ethics in the Legal Profession. Lee was President of the Board of Directors for Band Together, a local non-profit agency that uses live music as a platform for social change, and served as local counsel for The Rolling Stones during their concert in Durham, North Carolina in October 2005.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed as “Raleigh Best Lawyers Litigation – Health Care Lawyer of the Year” (2017, 2019)
- Recognized as a leading Healthcare Litigation attorney by Chambers USA (2011, 2012, 2014-2018 Band One)
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Commercial Litigation, Health Care Law (2009-2019), Litigation – Healthcare (2015-2019); Administrative/Regulatory Law (2016-2019); Corporate Law (2016-2019)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Litigation (2006-2012, 2013 – Category Winner; Legal Elite “Hall of Fame” (2014-current)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Business Litigation (2010-2018)
- Named one of Top 100 Super Lawyers in North Carolina (2012-2018)
- Named one of Top 25 Super Lawyers in Raleigh (2014-2018)
- Benchmark Litigation “Local Litigation Star” for Healthcare in North Carolina (2012), General Commercial (2013-2018)
Professional & Community Activities
- Band Together, Board of Directors (2012-2018); President (2014-2016)
- SAFEchild, Board of Directors (2003-2009); President (2007-2008)
- NC Bar Association, Health Law Section Council (2011-2014); Chair, Membership Committee; Chair, Ethics Committee