Mike serves as the Practice Group Leader of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. He represents clients in the financial services industry in matters involving claims for violation of state and federal consumer protection statutes. These include the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Billing Act (FCBA), Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and their state law counterparts. Mike regularly defends banks, credit card companies, and collection companies.
Mike’s trial practice is focused on complex commercial litigation, including contract and business tort disputes. He has litigated cases for clients in federal and state courts throughout the country, including defense of TCPA class actions. He has tried jury and non-jury cases and handled many cases before the American Arbitration Association and other arbitration tribunals.
Mike also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to counseling clients on compliance with the TCPA, FCRA, TILA, FCBA, and other federal and state statutes. He has managed a number of sophisticated synthetic identity fraud investigations for clients.
Mike is a past member of the firm’s Executive Committee and has previously chaired the firm’s Recruiting Committee and Attorney Mentoring Committee. He is a member of the Meritas Board of Directors, Meritas U.S. Leadership Committee and Member Engagement Committee. Mike received his B.A., magna cum laude, from Wake Forest University. He received his J.D. from Emory University. Prior to joining the firm in 2003, Mike practiced in Atlanta, Georgia.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers Business Litigation (2015-2019)
- Listed among Benchmark Litigation “Future Stars” (2012-2019)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Litigation (2013-2017)
Professional & Community Activities
- Meritas, Board of Directors
- Meritas, US Leadership Committee
- Meritas, Member Engagement Committee
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section, Consumer Financial Services Committee
- The Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation, Founder and Vice President (2015-2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Litigation Section; Latino Affairs Committee Chair (2008-2010); Joint Diversity Task Force (2008-2010)
- North Carolina State Bar
- State Bar of Georgia