Sean is a member of the firm’s Privacy & Data Security practice group. He counsels clients on the legal requirements and risks associated with the collection, storage, use, protection, and disposal of data in their businesses. He has experience with a variety of international, federal, and state privacy and data security laws and regulations, including the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), HIPAA, state data breach notification laws, the Stored Communications Act, the Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA), and the Wiretap Act. Sean has experience guiding clients through responses to security incidents and data breaches, drafting privacy policies and notices, creating and administering privacy and security compliance programs, and addressing privacy and data security issues in transactional matters, including privacy and security due diligence and contract negotiation.
Sean received his J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School, where he was a Victor McQuistion scholar. Sean received his B.A. in Anthropology, with honors and distinction, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. Before joining the firm, Sean practiced in the privacy & data security and commercial litigation groups at a North Carolina firm.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional, U.S. (CIPP/US), International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP), 2017-Present
Professional & Community Activities
- American Bar Association Litigation Section Privacy & Data Security Committee
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina State Bar Association Privacy & Data Security Committee
- Wake County Bar Association