Tom’s practice focuses on income taxation (including corporate and LLC mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations, and low-income housing and historic rehabilitation tax credits), state and local taxation, and partnership and limited liability company law. Before joining the firm in 1998, Tom had been a partner with another law firm in Raleigh, an attorney-advisor at the United States Tax Court in Washington, D.C., and a CPA with a Big Eight accounting firm in Virginia.
Tom is actively involved with the N.C. Bar Association, through which he has been Chair of the Tax Section, a principal drafter of the latest revisions to North Carolina’s partnership and LLC acts, a member of the LLC Act Revision Task Force, and a drafter and reviser of form documents for members of the Business Law Section (for LLCs) and Real Property Section (for like-kind exchanges).
Tom received a B.S. in Commerce (accounting concentration) from the University of Virginia, a J.D. from the College of William & Mary, and an LL.M. in Taxation from Georgetown University. He also attended the University of Exeter in England and the University of Grenoble in France.
Awards & Recognitions
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Tax (2008-2019)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Tax/Estate Planning (2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2017)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Tax (2006-2018)
Professional & Community Activities
- American Bar Association: Taxation Section; Forum on Affordable Housing and Community Development Law; Business Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association: Tax Section (Chair 2003-2004); Business Law Section, Business Organizations Committee, LLC Act Revision Task Force, and Forms Initiative Committee; Advisor to Real Property Section Forms Book
- District of Columbia Bar (inactive)
- Virginia State Bar (inactive)
- Member, Appalachian State University Board of Trustees
- Trinity Baptist Church of Raleigh, Bylaws and Policy Review Committee, Endowment Committee