Alec practices in the areas of securities law, mergers & acquisitions, and corporate law. His experience ranges from representing start-up companies in their initial organizations and financings to representing companies and underwriters in public offerings, mergers & acquisitions, and SEC reporting and compliance matters. Prior to joining the firm in 2000, Alec was General Counsel of Triangle Bancorp, Inc. and was in private practice before that working on over two dozen mergers involving public offerings and over two dozen initial public offerings of financial institutions.
Alec received his B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and his J.D. from the College of William and Mary.
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Banking and Finance Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law (2012-2020)
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Arts North Carolina
- Served as company counsel on over a dozen public company capital raises, primarily in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Served as company counsel on a $240,000,000 Rule 144A convertible senior note offering.
- Served as company counsel on a public company merger.
- Alec frequently serves as moderator of the speakers programs for the Research Triangle Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors (NACD).
- "New Reporting and Disclosure Requirements; Ethics; Protection of Whistleblowers; and Lawyer's Duty to Report Wrongdoing," Corporate Governance Crisis Seminar, RTP, September 2002
- "Corporate Governance and the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002," Capital Associated Industries, Inc. – Executive Development Series, Raleigh, August 2004, February 2003
- "The Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 & Related SEC, NYSE and Nasdaq Rulemaking," North Carolina Bankers Association, Greensboro, April 2003
- "Corporate Ethics: Required Policies & Disclosures and What The Examiners Will Be Looking For," NC Bankers Association 2003 Management Team Conference, October 2003
- "Legal Aspects of 404 Reporting and the Role of the Audit Committee," NC Bankers Association, November, 2004
- "Responsibilities for Financial Reporting and Compliance" and "Director and Officer Indemnification after Enron, WorldCom, Disney and other High Profile Lawsuits-Are You Fully Protected?" NC Bankers Association Bank Directors Assembly, March, 2005
- "Stock Option Grant Practices and Problems," Raleigh, August 2006
- "Option Grant Best Practices," Research Triangle Chapter of the National Association of Corporate Directors, Raleigh, September 2006
- "Equity Compensation Running the Gauntlet," Business North Carolina, June 2007