Brian practices in the areas of capital markets, mergers & acquisitions, venture capital, and corporate law. He advises companies and venture capital and private equity funds in matters ranging from initial formation and general corporate matters to financings and mergers & acquisitions.
Brian earned his law degree with high honors from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and is a member of the Order of the Coif. He was a published member of the North Carolina Law Review and later served as the Publication Editor. Before law school, Brian spent two years working for a major international accounting firm in New York City. Brian graduated with highest distinction from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with undergraduate degrees in Business Administration and Psychology.
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Business Law (2017), Young Guns (2018)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Triangle ArtWorks Lawyer’s Action Committee
- Represented leading healthcare and life sciences investment fund in $25 million Series A Preferred Stock investment in a Swiss company developing treatments for central nervous system disorders
- Represented wearable AI technology startup in $3 million Series Seed financing
- Represented wireless telecom startup in $25 million Series B financing
- Represented corporate venture capital investor in $12 million preferred stock investment in a structure-based drug discovery platform company
- Represented public-company investor in a $50 million investment in a healthcare and technology venture capital fund
- Represented one of the largest independent alternative asset managers in a $7 million real estate co-investment in a portfolio of commercial real estate properties
- Represented one of the largest independent alternative asset managers in a $96 million private equity co-investment in a leading provider of packaging machinery solutions
- Represented a leading financial services company in a $26 million private equity co-investment in a regional chain of fast food restaurants
- Represented a leading financial services company in the structuring and formation of private equity co-investment funds
- Represented leading healthcare and life sciences investment fund in the structuring and formation of co-investment funds
The Investment Funds practice group is an interdisciplinary team of attorneys who focus on formation and management of private investment funds, and representation of fund sponsors, managers, advisers, and investors. We provide legal counsel in all relevant areas, including fund structure, tax planning, securities laws, internal ownership and control, regulatory, and other legal matters.
For over 40 years, we have helped founders, start-ups, and emerging companies form, finance, and grow their businesses, and have assisted countless angel investors and venture capital firms with their investment activities.
Our Capital Markets practice group focuses on assisting clients in financing transactions. From start-ups seeking seed or venture capital to larger private and public equity and debt financings, our experience and expertise helps clients close successful deals.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Our M&A practice group is composed of experienced transactional attorneys focused on handling the complexities of M&A transactions. We take pride in working closely with our clients at every stage of the process, from pre-transaction preparation and deal structuring in order to maximize value and minimize risk, through due diligence, to drafting and negotiating definitive agreements, and ultimately to closing and post-closing advice.