Joe serves as corporate counsel and a trusted advisor for businesses of all sizes. As a member of the firm’s Mergers & Acquisitions practice group, Joe’s practice focuses on mergers & acquisitions, equity and debt financings, divestitures, corporate restructurings, joint ventures, commercial contracts, corporate governance, and general business matters. As a member of the firm’s Tax practice group, Joe’s practice focuses on a wide variety of tax matters, including business formations, reorganizations, corporate and partnership tax issues, individual tax planning, succession planning and transaction structuring.
Joe has experience representing clients in a wide range of industries, including technology and software, healthcare, retail, manufacturing, distribution, and real estate development, among others.
Joe earned a B.S. in Accounting, summa cum laude, from North Carolina State University, a J.D., cum laude, from the University of Florida, and an LL.M. in Taxation from the University of Florida. Joe is also a licensed Certified Public Accountant in North Carolina.
Prior to joining the firm, Joe was a partner with another law firm in Raleigh where he practiced in their corporate, securities and tax group.
- Listed among Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law (2021-2023)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Young Gun (2018), Business (2022)
Represented and advised:
- A privately held company in a series of acquisitions consolidating cleaning supply businesses across the U.S.
- A large U.S.-based electronic components manufacturer in an acquisition of wholly owned subsidiaries of a publicly traded company located in Mexico, U.K., Germany, China, Austria, India, Romania and Ukraine.
- A publicly traded Australian company in an acquisition of a SaaS platform.
- A leading manufacturer in the radio and broadcast industry in a series of technology-driven corporate acquisitions across the U.S.
- A private equity fund in a strategic acquisition of 50+ retail stores across the U.S.
- A regional heating and air conditioning company in a stock disposition to a publicly traded private equity company.
- An energy-based technology emerging growth company in a series of large capital raise transactions.
- A national distribution company in a series of acquisitions consolidating roofing supply businesses across the U.S.
- A national SaaS company in an equity disposition to a private equity group.
- Several international manufacturing companies in equity and asset dispositions to a variety of private equity groups.
Represented and advised:
- A privately held medical practice on a tax-deferred consolidation structure in connection with a joint venture arrangement with an industry-leading healthcare management company.
- A regional real estate development company on a tax-deferred internal restructuring in connection with a mezzanine financing transaction.
- A regional distribution company on a tax-deferred reorganization, liquidation, and reinvestment in connection with an equity disposition to a private equity group.
- Several companies on tax-deferred reorganizations and internal restructurings in connection with an equity or stock disposition.
- A private equity fund in series of 1031 deferred exchanges.