Charles is a member of the firm’s Commercial Real Estate practice group. His practice focuses on a wide range of commercial real estate-related transactions, including commercial lease drafting and negotiation, buyer and seller-side real estate purchases and sales, real estate finance, planned developments, and local government matters. Charles is certified to provide title counsel and resolve title issues for buyers, sellers, and lenders.
Charles received his B.A. in History, with honors, from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received his J.D. from the University of North Carolina School of Law. While in law school, Charles served as an Articles Editor for the North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation.
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Young Guns (2019, 2021, 2022); Real Estate (2020-2021)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers “Real Estate – Rising Stars” (2022)
- Executive Committee, NC Discovery Ball – American Cancer Society
- Represented real estate investor in $19.5 million acquisition and financing of multi-tenant retail shopping center.
- Advised regional medical practice in acquisitions of owned/leased real estate as part of strategic expansion.
- Represented Class A office investor in negotiating credit leases across investment portfolio.
- Served as real estate counsel to multi-national company in $500 million stock purchase.
- Advised local investor on deployment of tax-deferred real property exchange on multiple replacement properties.
- Served as borrower’s counsel on negotiation of secured credit facility for industrial/flex space user.
- Served as real estate counsel for regional automotive group in restructuring debt and obtaining $6 million construction loan for new facility.
- Represent both landlords and tenants in lease negotiations across asset classes, including retail, office, medical office, industrial, and flex space.
- Served as real estate counsel for expansion of regional golf course portfolio on behalf of local investor.