David focuses his practice on the representation of emerging growth technology companies, as well as the venture capital and private equity firms that fund these companies. He is the leader of the firm’s Private Equity and Clean Tech Industry Teams and is a member of the firm’s Executive Committee.
David has represented technology companies in a variety of transactions, including private and public offerings, technology partnerships and licensing arrangements, and mergers and acquisitions. As counsel to venture capital and private equity funds, he assists with fund formation matters and the full spectrum of these funds’ investment transactions, including debt and equity financings, leveraged acquisitions, divestitures, restructurings, and co-investments.
David received his law degree from Stanford Law School and served as an Associate Editor of the Stanford Law Review. He completed his bachelor’s degree at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, where he graduated with honors and was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. Prior to joining the firm in 2000, David practiced in the Silicon Valley office of Cooley Godward LLP.
- Named the Best Lawyers 2018 Venture Capital “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law, Venture Capital Law (2011-2023); Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2016-2023)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Business (2012, 2013), Young Guns (2007)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Business/Corporate (2006, 2014-2020)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Council Member (2005-2008), Business Organizations Committee, Technology and Emerging Growth Companies Committee
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section
- California Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Council for Entrepreneurial Development
- 29 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 and David L. Wilke Named Best Lawyers® 2018 Venture Capital Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh
- 29 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected as North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2017
- 29 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected as North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2016
- 29 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected as North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2015
- 25 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2015
- 27 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected as North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2014
- 25 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2014
- 21 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2013
- 22 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected to Legal Elite 2013
- Thirteen Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected to Legal Elite 2012
- 17 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America 2011
The Investment Funds practice group is an interdisciplinary team of attorneys who focus on formation and management of private investment funds, and representation of fund sponsors, managers, advisers, and investors. We provide legal counsel in all relevant areas, including fund structure, tax planning, securities laws, internal ownership and control, regulatory, and other legal matters.
Our Capital Markets practice group focuses on assisting clients in financing transactions. From start-ups seeking seed or venture capital to larger private and public equity and debt financings, our experience and expertise helps clients close successful deals.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Our M&A practice group is composed of experienced transactional attorneys focused on handling the complexities of M&A transactions. We take pride in working closely with our clients at every stage of the process, from pre-transaction preparation and deal structuring in order to maximize value and minimize risk, through due diligence, to drafting and negotiating definitive agreements, and ultimately to closing and post-closing advice.
For over 40 years, we have helped founders, start-ups, and emerging companies form, finance, and grow their businesses, and have assisted countless angel investors and venture capital firms with their investment activities.
The Wyrick Robbins Life Sciences Industry Team focuses on serving the special needs of participants in traditional and emerging life sciences markets, including biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, diagnostics, contract research and laboratory services, agricultural biotechnology, and drug discovery tools.