Dean practices in the area of health care law. Dean’s practice is focused on providing legal and business advice to hospitals and medical staffs, physicians and their practices, pharmaceutical companies, long-term care facilities, DME providers, and other institutional clients. Dean’s experience includes issues involving mergers and acquisitions of medical practices, fraud and abuse, clinical trials, peer review, anti-trust, certificate of need, HIPAA compliance, and other health care-related issues.
Dean completed his undergraduate and graduate studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, receiving a Ph.D. in Molecular and Cellular Pathology. Dean received his J.D., summa cum laude, from Marquette University Law School.
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association, Health Law Section (former Chair)
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- American Health Lawyers’ Association
- North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys (Board of Directors)
- Lucy Daniels Center for Early Childhood (Chair, Board of Directors)
- Southern Foodways Alliance (Board of Directors)
- Represented a national physician practice management company in its acquisition of multiple practices across the country.
- Represented a large, multi-specialty ambulatory surgery center in diversifying its ownership structure to include two competing hospitals and a national management company.
- Represented multiple practices in numerous transactions with hospitals, including the negotiation of practice acquisitions, professional services arrangements, exclusive contracts, ambulatory surgery center joint ventures, and more. Practice specialties have included gastroenterology, cardiology, cardiothoracic surgery, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, and internal medicine.
- Served as regulatory counsel to multiple hospitals, nursing homes, hospice providers, dental and medical practices, pharmacies, and other providers in connection with government investigations, ongoing compliance issues, and similar matters.
- Represented multiple health care providers in Medicare audits and subsequent appeals.
- Represented a regional hospital in successfully responding to alleged EMTALA violations.
- Successfully represented an emergency medicine group practice in a whistleblower case that alleged improper billing to the TRICARE program.
Our Healthcare practice group provides an extensive range of services to providers and other entities within the healthcare industry, including hospitals, physician groups, long-term care facilities, diagnostic centers, and surgery centers. We also represent medical billing companies, clinical research organizations, site management organizations, practice management organizations, pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers, and other healthcare-related entities.