Elie Foy is a member of our Trusts & Estates practice group. Her practice focuses on wealth transfer planning, charitable planning, and trust and estate administration. Elie advises individual clients on various estate planning issues, including the tax-efficient transfer of wealth and business succession planning. In addition, she advises private foundations, supporting organizations, public charities and other nonprofit organizations about governance, tax compliance, grant-making, and fundraising issues.
Elie is a Fellow in The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel and is certified as a Specialist in Estate Planning and Probate Law by the North Carolina State Bar Board of Legal Specialization. She is a frequent speaker on trusts and estates topics.
Elie received her B.A. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, her J.D. from Wake Forest University, where she was a Dean’s Merit Scholar, and her LL.M. in Taxation from Georgetown University, with distinction.
- Listed among Best Lawyers in America: Trusts and Estates (2024)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers, Estate Planning and Probate (2018-2023); “Rising Stars” (2011, 2013-2015)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Tax/Estate Planning (2013, 2015, 2017-2023); “Young Gun” (2016, 2017, 2019 ) top-vote getter 2019
- Faculty Member – Trust Advisors Institute (formerly Southeastern Trust School) at Campbell University
- North Carolina Bar Association, Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section Chair (2022-2023) Council member(2013-2019)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Estate Planning and Fiduciary Law Section – Member of the Legislative Committee 2009 to present
- Past Editor, North Carolina Bar Association Estate Administration Manual
- Wake County, Estate Planning Council President (2016-2017)
- North Carolina State Bar Board Certified Specialist: Estate Planning & Probate
- Fellow in the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Speaker “Hot Topics in Estate Planning” Trust Advisors Forum, Pinehurst, NC (2018-2022)
- Speaker “Partnerships, LLC & Corporations – Estate Planning and Probate Issues”, North Carolina Bar Association (2019, 2021)
- Author, “How Charitable Contribution Deductions Can Vanish in to Thin Air”, The Will and the Way, North Carolina Bar Association (2019)
- Author “Philosophy 101 – What Is Reasonable Knowledge?” The Will and the Way, North Carolina Bar Association (2019)
- Speaker, “Drafting in Uncertain Times”, North Carolina Bar Association (2019)
- Speaker, “Estate Tax Deductions, Credits, and Payment of Tax”, North Carolina Bar Association (2019)
- Speaker, “Estate Tax Deductions, Credits and Payments of Tax” North Carolina Bar Association (2017)
- Speaker “Potential Pitfalls in Implementing the Estate Plan” Trust Advisors Forum, Pinehurst, NC (2013)