Chris has spent most of his career as a strategic legal advisor to company founders, board members, executives, and investors, primarily for companies in the information technology and life sciences industries. His deep experience with companies in those industries helps him bring a practical, efficient business perspective to his legal work. Chris often serves as outside general counsel for these companies, and his practice includes a high volume of seed and venture capital financings, private placements, and mergers & acquisitions for his clients. He is an adjunct professor at the University of North Carolina School of Law where he teaches a course on venture finance law.
He graduated from the University of Virginia, receiving his B.A., with honors, and from Harvard Law School, receiving his J.D., cum laude.
- Listed as Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh – Venture Capital Law (2022)
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law, Information Technology Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law, Venture Capital Law (2007-2024); Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2014-2024)
- Listed as Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh – Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2020)
- Listed as Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh – Corporate Law (2019)
- Listed as Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh – Venture Capital Law (2014, 2016)
- Listed as Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh – Securities/Capital Markets Law (2013, 2015)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers for Business/Corporate (2006-2019)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Corporate (2014); Business (2022)
- Adjunct Professor, University of North Carolina School of Law
- American Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- Represented a leading provider of operations management software for youth sports organizations in its partnership with a growth equity family office.