Katie is a corporate lawyer who works in the areas of company formation, corporate financing, product financing, and complex intellectual property collaborations. Katie represents companies and investors of all sizes in transactions involving venture capital investments, private placements, royalty financings, and strategic partnerships.
Katie received her B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and her Master of Public Administration from the University of Southern California. Before law school, Katie worked as a city planner for two cities in Northern California. She received her J.D., magna cum laude and Order of the Coif, from Duke Law School, where she was a Mordecai Scholar and served as the Editor-in-Chief of the Duke Law Journal. Prior to joining the firm, Katie clerked on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals for the Honorable James A. Wynn, Jr.
Katie teaches a course on intellectual property transactions at Duke Law School, where she is a Senior Lecturing Fellow of Law.
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Young Guns (2022)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers Business/Corporate – Rising Star (2022, 2023)
- Represented large pharmaceutical company on a license and co-development transaction with a university spin-out.
- Served as lead-investor’s counsel in $70,000,000 revenue interest financing transaction with a specialty pharmaceutical company.
- Served as outside general counsel to various university spin-out companies on matters that include formation, financing, and securing intellectual property rights.
- Represented lead investor in $100,000,000 pharmaceutical product financing transaction.
- Represented large pharmaceutical company in venture and strategic investment transactions with early-stage product development companies.
- Individualized vs. Generalized Assessments: Why RLUIPA Should Not Apply to Every Land-Use Request, 62 Duke L.J. 79 (2012)
For over 40 years, we have helped founders, start-ups, and emerging companies form, finance, and grow their businesses, and have assisted countless angel investors and venture capital firms with their investment activities.
Our Capital Markets practice group focuses on assisting clients in financing transactions. From start-ups seeking seed or venture capital to larger private and public equity and debt financings, our experience and expertise helps clients close successful deals.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Our M&A practice group is composed of experienced transactional attorneys focused on handling the complexities of M&A transactions. We take pride in working closely with our clients at every stage of the process, from pre-transaction preparation and deal structuring in order to maximize value and minimize risk, through due diligence, to drafting and negotiating definitive agreements, and ultimately to closing and post-closing advice.