Sam is a member of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group and represents businesses and individuals in civil disputes. His experience includes representing both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal courts. It includes defending securities class actions and shareholder derivative suits, representing parties in post-acquisition disputes, and assisting clients by negotiating or litigating contract disputes. Sam also routinely represents personal representatives, trustees, and other corporate and individual fiduciaries in trusts and estates litigation. Lastly, Sam represents municipalities and their boards in all manner of local government administration.
Sam received his undergraduate degree from N.C. State University, where he was a Park Scholar. He received his J.D. from Wake Forest University, where he served on the editorial board of the Wake Forest Law Review and competed in the National Appellate Advocacy Competition.
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Litigation (2017, 2021, 2022); Young Guns (2016, 2018, 2020)
- N.C. State University Park Scholarships: Treasurer, Park Alumni Society; Selection Committee
- Food Runners Collaborative: Board Member, Vice President and President-Elect
- Wake County Bar Association: Young Lawyers Division Board Member; Chair, Summer Clerk Orientation; Member, Professionalism Committee
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Successfully defeated counterclaims and secured favorable settlement for client asserting post-closing breach of contract claims.
- Prevailed on a motion to dismiss a securities class action and currently awaiting decision of Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Represented real property owners in disputes including development, access, and condemnation.
- Represented home services company facing consumer claims and successfully resolved dispute following the close of evidence to a jury.
- Regularly represents municipalities, businesses, and individuals in quasi-judicial hearings before municipal boards.