Steve focuses on representing middle-market and lower middle-market equity sponsors, their portfolio companies, financial institutions, and strategic companies in connection with leveraged acquisitions, control and non-control investments, debt financings, restructurings, and compensation and employment arrangements for key management and employees. He is the leader of the firm’s Communications, Information and Media industry team. Steve has closed several billion dollars’ worth of acquisitions, investments, financings, and sales for middle-market and lower middle-market equity sponsors, financial institutions, and strategic companies.
Steve received both his B.A. and J.D. from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received his LL.M. in taxation from Boston University.
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Corporate Law (2013-2021); Mergers & Acquisitions Law (2015-2021)
- American Bar Association, Communications Law Section, Business Law Section, Taxation Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Business Law Section, Tax Section
- North Carolina State Bar
- Represented numerous buyers and sellers in acquisitions and sales of local television and radio stations for over 25 years, including handling all financing and equity-related aspects of these transactions.
- Represented a leading provider of healthcare information, education, and marketing services in multiple acquisitions and sales over a 15-year period.
- Represented numerous physician practices in sales to public companies and other acquirors, including the sales of the largest anesthesiology practices in Austin, Texas and Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Represented physician and dental practices in financings, reorganizations, and restructurings.
- Represented a public company in a Fintech joint venture with another public company.
- Represented a large financial advisory firm in its acquisition of several financial advisory firms.
- Represented the acquiring company in its acquisitions and sales of outdoor and out-of-home advertising businesses, including handling all financing and equity-related aspects of these transactions.
- Represented the acquiring company in its acquisitions and sales of for-profit vocational schools and other educational institutions, including handling all financing and equity-related aspects of these transactions.
- Represented sellers in sales of their software companies, including a CAD software company and a real estate closing and software company.
- "Simplification of Amortization Rules in 1993: Who Wins? Who Loses?” Tax Assessments, December 1993