Tom practices in the areas of venture capital, private equity, corporate finance, mergers and acquisitions, and general company representation. He advises venture capital and private equity funds in their formation and investment activities. He counsels entrepreneurs and companies in a wide range of matters, including formation and corporate governance, securities offerings and fundraising, mergers and acquisitions, employee incentive programs, and strategic relationships. Prior to joining the firm, Tom was a corporate associate at Latham & Watkins LLP. Tom received his B.A., cum laude, from Harvard University and his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School.
- Listed among The Best Lawyers in America: Venture Capital Law (2018-2023), Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice (2019-2023), Corporate Law (2021-2023), Mergers and Acquisitions Law (2021-2023)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Business (2022)
- North Carolina State Bar
- American Bar Association
- Served as company counsel for $2 million Series Seed Preferred Stock financing of a digital security company
- Served as investor counsel for $10 million Series C Preferred Stock financing of digital healthcare company
- Served as fund counsel for the formation of a private equity fund with a target size of $100 million
- Served as investor counsel for $3 million Series A Preferred Stock financing of a fintech company
- Served as company counsel for $20 million Series A Preferred Stock financing of a life sciences company
- Served as fund counsel for the formation of a venture capital fund with a target size of $200 million
- Served as investor counsel for $5 million Series B Preferred Stock financing of a pharmaceutical company
- Served as investor counsel for $1 million Series Seed Preferred Stock financing of a digital healthcare company
- Served as company counsel for $6 million Convertible Promissory Note and Warrant financing of a biotechnology company
- Served as fund counsel for the formation of a special purpose investment vehicle with $30 million in committed capital
- Down Rounds – What Are They and How to Mitigate Litigation Risk
- 29 Wyrick Robbins Attorneys Selected for Inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© 2018 and David L. Wilke Named Best Lawyers® 2018 Venture Capital Law “Lawyer of the Year” in Raleigh
- 32 Wyrick Robbins Lawyers Selected as North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2013
- 30 Wyrick Robbins Lawyers Selected as North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2012
- Wyrick Robbins Elects Tom Allen to Firm Partnership
- 22 Wyrick Robbins Lawyers Selected as North Carolina Super Lawyers and Rising Stars for 2011
For over 40 years, we have helped founders, start-ups, and emerging companies form, finance, and grow their businesses, and have assisted countless angel investors and venture capital firms with their investment activities.
Our Capital Markets practice group focuses on assisting clients in financing transactions. From start-ups seeking seed or venture capital to larger private and public equity and debt financings, our experience and expertise helps clients close successful deals.
The Investment Funds practice group is an interdisciplinary team of attorneys who focus on formation and management of private investment funds, and representation of fund sponsors, managers, advisers, and investors. We provide legal counsel in all relevant areas, including fund structure, tax planning, securities laws, internal ownership and control, regulatory, and other legal matters.
Mergers & Acquisitions
Our M&A practice group is composed of experienced transactional attorneys focused on handling the complexities of M&A transactions. We take pride in working closely with our clients at every stage of the process, from pre-transaction preparation and deal structuring in order to maximize value and minimize risk, through due diligence, to drafting and negotiating definitive agreements, and ultimately to closing and post-closing advice.