Adam’s practice focuses on federal, state and local taxation, tax controversies, partnership and limited liability company law, and business tax planning. He is regularly involved with business formations and with corporate and limited liability company mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations. He also has experience representing taxpayers in tax controversies with the Internal Revenue Service and state taxing agencies.
Adam is licensed to practice in North Carolina, Alabama, and before the United States Tax Court.
Adam received a B.A. in Economics, summa cum laude, from the University of North Carolina at Asheville, a J.D. magna cum laude, from the University of Alabama, and an LL.M. in Taxation from the University of Florida.
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Tax/Estate Planning (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020)
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” Tax (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
- Alabama State Bar
- American Bar Association, Taxation Section, Business Law Section
- North Carolina Bar Association, Tax Section (Council Member, 2007-2010)
- North Carolina State Bar
- Wake County Bar Association
- Represented private equity firm with multiple investment transactions in portfolio entities located in the U.S. and worldwide.
- Tax structuring for mergers and acquisitions across a range of industries, representing both buyers and sellers.
- Advised healthcare and life sciences private investment firm in connection with numerous portfolio company acquisitions and divestitures.
- Structured, negotiated and documented joint ventures for clients in multiple industries.
- Advised sovereign wealth funds in connection with multiple private equity investments.
- Represented automotive parts distribution and installation company in its sale to a national strategic buyer.
- Advised aviation company in connection with sales tax refund claims.
- Advised venture capital fund in connection with its formation and initial fundraising.
- Panelist, "The Business of Opening Your Own Business," North Carolina Bar Foundation, Cary, NC, July 2008
- "Common Tax Considerations for Businesses," North Carolina Bar Foundation, Cary, NC, May 2010 and May 2012