Dan combines his experience in employment law and executive compensation law to help clients navigate complex legal challenges at all stages of the employment relationship. A trusted advisor, Dan pairs practical legal advice with an understanding of clients’ businesses to anticipate and mitigate risks.
On employment law matters, Dan regularly counsels employers on compliance and risk management related to state and federal employment laws, including Title VII, the ADA, and the FMLA, among others. Dan also assists employers with drafting employment-related contracts and other documents, including employee handbooks and policies, employment agreements, covenants not to compete, non-disclosure agreements, and separation agreements. With respect to executive compensation matters, Dan advises clients regarding the design and implementation of employee compensation arrangements, including annual and long-term bonus plans, deferred compensation arrangements under Section 409A, phantom stock plans, and various equity-based compensation plans, including stock option, restricted stock, and restricted stock unit (RSU) awards. He also supports individual executives in the negotiation of compensation and benefits packages in connection with employment, severance, change in control, and other similar agreements.
Dan has represented clients across a variety of industries, including healthcare, biotechnology, manufacturing, financial services, and real estate development and management, and through all stages of the corporate life-cycle, ranging from the start-up phase and through exit.
Dan earned his B.A. in Economics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and earned his J.D. with high honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law. Prior to joining the firm, Dan practiced with K&L Gates LLP and before that served as a law clerk to The Honorable William L. Osteen of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina.
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” Employment & Labor (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Employment (2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2020, 2022)
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Leadership Raleigh, Class 26
- Successfully resolved multi-claimant employment discrimination dispute at mediation on behalf of international biotech company.
- Designed two-tier management carveout plan for private equity-backed life sciences company.
- Drafted tailored non-competition, non-solicitation, and non-disclosure agreements for employers across industries.
- Advised international waste management company on various executive compensation issues in connection with $1.3 billion acquisition of a waste collection, recycling, and disposal business.
- Represented private equity-backed telecommunications company in connection with hiring new of chief executive officer, including negotiation of employment agreement and development of custom incentive compensation program.
- Represented public company CEO in negotiations regarding separation in connection with acquisition transaction.
- Advised numerous publicly-traded companies regarding design and implementation of executive compensation programs, including equity incentive plans, employee stock purchase plans, deferred compensation arrangements, and change in control severance programs.
- Serve as outside employment counsel to wide variety of employers, including life sciences and technology companies at various stages of development, banks and other financial services organizations, medical practices, and other professional firms, manufacturing concerns, and telecommunications companies.
- Numerous company-specific sexual harassment and management training seminars
- “FLSA Exemptions and North Carolina Wage and Hour Law,” March 2014
- “Lessons from Recent Employment Law Cases,” April 2012
- “North Carolina Court Focuses on Clear Description of Customers for Enforcement of Non-Solicitation Clause,” August 2010
- “Managing Risk in Employment Decisions: Strategies Related to Social Networking, Electronic Information Policies, and Data Theft,” February 2010
- “Managing Risk in Employment Decisions: Wage and Hour Challenges and Opportunities,” December 2009
- “Business Decisions under the New ADA and FMLA Regulations,” May 2009
- “Best Practices for Recordkeeping,”“Avoiding Costly Fines Through Proper Workplace Safety Documentation,” “Employment Law Claims: The True Test of Your Recordkeeping System,” presentation for National Business Institute seminar (Secrets to a Legally Compliant Human Resources Recordkeeping System), April 2006
Labor & Employment
Our Labor & Employment practice group provides a full range of labor and employment law services to businesses, management, and individuals.
Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation
Our Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation practice group assists employers in managing their employee benefit programs, equity plans, and executive compensation programs. We represent corporations, partnerships, nonprofit and governmental entities, trustees, investment advisers, fiduciaries, and executives.