Dan focuses his practice on employment law, providing clients with practical legal advice on a wide range of employment-related issues and helping them navigate the challenges associated with all phases of the employer-employee relationship, from hiring through departure. He regularly counsels employers on compliance and risk management related to state and federal employment laws and regulations. Dan also assists employers with drafting employment-related contracts and other documents, including employee handbooks and policies, employment agreements, covenants not to compete, non-disclosure agreements, and separation agreements.
In addition, Dan frequently represents employers facing employment discrimination investigations, wrongful discharge claims, and wage and hour disputes before state and federal administrative agencies. Dan has represented clients across a variety of industries, including healthcare, biotechnology, manufacturing, engineering, securities, and real estate development and management.
Dan earned a B.A. in Economics from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and earned his J.D. with high honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law. Dan served as an Articles Editor for the North Carolina Law Review and is a member of the Order of the Coif. Prior to joining the firm, Dan practiced with K&L Gates LLP. Prior to entering private practice, Dan served as a law clerk to The Honorable William L. Osteen of the U.S. District Court for the Middle District of North Carolina.
- Listed among North Carolina Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” Employment & Labor (2014, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Listed among Business North Carolina Magazine Legal Elite: Employment (2013, 2014, 2015, 2018, 2020)
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association
- Leadership Raleigh, Class 26
- Successfully resolved multi-claimant employment discrimination dispute at mediation on behalf of international biotech company.
- Designed two-tier management carveout plan for private equity-backed life sciences company.
- Drafted tailored non-competition, non-solicitation, and non-disclosure agreements for employers across industries.
- Advised international waste management company on various executive compensation issues in connection with $1.3 billion acquisition of a waste collection, recycling, and disposal business.
- Represented private equity-backed telecommunications company in connection with hiring new of chief executive officer, including negotiation of employment agreement and development of custom incentive compensation program.
- Represented public company CEO in negotiations regarding separation in connection with acquisition transaction.
- Advised numerous publicly-traded companies regarding design and implementation of executive compensation programs, including equity incentive plans, employee stock purchase plans, deferred compensation arrangements, and change in control severance programs.
- Serve as outside employment counsel to wide variety of employers, including life sciences and technology companies at various stages of development, banks and other financial services organizations, medical practices, and other professional firms, manufacturing concerns, and telecommunications companies.
- Numerous company-specific sexual harassment and management training seminars
- “FLSA Exemptions and North Carolina Wage and Hour Law,” March 2014
- “Lessons from Recent Employment Law Cases,” April 2012
- “North Carolina Court Focuses on Clear Description of Customers for Enforcement of Non-Solicitation Clause,” August 2010
- “Managing Risk in Employment Decisions: Strategies Related to Social Networking, Electronic Information Policies, and Data Theft,” February 2010
- “Managing Risk in Employment Decisions: Wage and Hour Challenges and Opportunities,” December 2009
- “Business Decisions under the New ADA and FMLA Regulations,” May 2009
- “Best Practices for Recordkeeping,”“Avoiding Costly Fines Through Proper Workplace Safety Documentation,” “Employment Law Claims: The True Test of Your Recordkeeping System,” presentation for National Business Institute seminar (Secrets to a Legally Compliant Human Resources Recordkeeping System), April 2006